Did you know that Bible scholars have shown that there are anywhere from 355 to 384 biblical prophecies that were fulfilled in the life of Jesus? That is a remarkable number , and trust me, later on in this post it will blow your mind.
The prophecies foretelling the Messiah were descriptors, as it were, placed in prophecy so that the ancient Jewish people would be able to recognize Him when he appeared. It’s kind of like saying, “Today you will meet a french woman with blue eyes. She is the one I was telling you about.” But much more elaborate, and really more improbable than that. Christians have proved that Jesus is the only person who has fulfilled them, and therefore is the Messiah.
Here is a small sample:
List of Messianic Prophecies:
- Messiah is to be born in Bethlehem Micah 5:2; fulfilled in Matt. 2:1-7; John 7:42; Luke 2:4-7
- Messiah is to be preceded by a Messenger Isaiah 40:3; Malachi 3:1; fulfilled in Matthew 3:1-3; 11:10; John 1:23; Luke 1:17
- Messiah is to enter Jerusalem on a donkey Zechariah 9:9; fulfilled in Luke 35-37; Matthew 21:6-11
- Messiah is to be betrayed by a friend Psalms 41:9; 55:12-14; fulfilled in Matthew 10:4; 26:49-50; John 13:21
- Messiah is to be sold for 30 pieces of silver Zechariah 11:12; fulfilled in Matthew 26:15; 27:3
- The money for which Messiah is sold is to be thrown “to the potter” in God’s house Zechariah 11:13; fulfilled in Matthew 27:5-7
- Messiah is to be born of a virgin Isaiah 7:14; fulfilled in Matthew 1:18-2:1; Luke 1:26-35
- Messiah is to be hated without cause Isaiah 49:7; Psalm 69:5; fulfilled in John 15:24-25
- Messiah is to be silent before His accusers Isaiah 53:7; fulfilled in Matthew 27:12
- Messiah is to be executed by crucifixion, by having His hands and feet pierced Psalm 22:16; fulfilled in John 19:28
- Messiah is to be given vinegar to quench His thirst Psalm 69:22; fulfilled in Matthew 27:34
- Messiah is to be executed without having a bone broken Exodus 12:46; Psalm 34:21; fulfilled in John 19:33-36
- Messiah is to be buried with the rich when dead Isaiah 53:9; fulfilled in Matthew 27:57-60
- Messiah is to be raised from the dead Isaiah 53:9-10; Psalm 2:7; 16:10; fulfilled in Matthew 28:1-20; Acts 2:23-36;13;33-37; 1 Corinthians 11:4-6
- Messiah is to be executed by crucifixion as a thief Psalm 22:16; Zechariah 12:10; Isaiah 53:5, 12; fulfilled in Luke 23:33; John 20:25; Matthew 27:38; Mark 5:27, 28
Now, here’s the cool thing. Statistically we find that the chance that any man might have lived to the present time and fulfilled just eight prophecies is 1 in 10^17. That would be one in 100,000,000,000,000,000.
In order to comprehend this staggering probability we take 10^17 silver dollars and lay them on the face of Texas. They will cover the state two feet deep. Now mark one of these silver dollars and stir the whole mass thoroughly. Blindfold a man and tell him that he must pick up only one silver dollar and then he picks the right one. What chance would he have of getting the right one? Just the same chance that the prophets would have had of writing just eight prophecies and having them all come true in any one man, from their day to the present time, providing they wrote in their own wisdom.
I told you it would blow your mind! It’s also important to remember that historians have accurately dated all the books of the Bible. So there is no question that they were written hundreds and thousands of years before the time of Jesus. Here’s a Wikipedia Overview of the dates of the books of the Bible.
The is pretty compelling corroboration for the existence of the miraculous, and the existence of GOD.
Christians take great solace in this, that GOD would give “road signs” as it were – that we can prove are historically accurate – that would point to the Messiah. Like the typical ways of GOD, it has a mystery about it. You have to look for it. But once the treasure is found, it’s yours.